Sunday, March 20, 2011

We Made It

After 48 hours of traveling and very little sleep we arrived safely in Lexington. Miyako did great traveling. She slept about five hours to Seattle and slept for about four hours last night. Then she took a nap this morning and on the plane today. Right now, she is enjoying playing with her piano that Aunt Kim and Uncle Tom handed down to her and we had in storage at my parents' house.

Many of you may be wondering what our "game plan" is. As you can imagine, Kan and I had limited communication when we booked our tickets since I was in Kyoto and he was in Tokyo. I figured we would not be able to travel back before the baby was born. I am so thankful for the long flight to Seattle as we were able to really talk and discuss our options and expectations. One thing for sure - the Lord is definitely using this to make our marriage stronger and our communication has been encouraging to me throughout this trial.

We both really desire to get back to Tokyo to have the baby and resume our life there. We knew we needed to get out just in case the situation got worse. I did not want to get "stuck" per se. If I were not 34 weeks pregnant we probably would have just gone somewhere within Asia, but we knew we needed to be somewhere that I could have the baby if we had to. The US was the best option for us. Ironically as we boarded the plane, the last email I received was from the US embassy saying citizens within Tokyo are safe. President Obama gave military families in Japan the option of leaving, but said only those within 30 miles of the earthquake epicenter were in danger regarding nuclear reactions.

All of this to say, our game plan is to stay in Lexington for a week. We will monitor the situation from both US perspectives and Japanese perspectives. We will be in touch with friends back in Tokyo as well to monitor the situation in terms of aftershocks, power outages, and food supplies. We will probably make a decision within the next 48 hours and if things are in the clear to go back, we will head back sometime early next week. Right now, we are learning to live day to day and listen to God's tender voice as he leads us and guides us. I know to some of you, it may seem crazy that we would want to go back. But for now, it is our home. And if business resumes as usual back in Tokyo, we would like to be there for it and resume our normal life. One thing we believe firmly is that we cannot mess this up. God has His sovereign hand over our lives and has been with us each step of the way. We will enjoy this week in Lexington seeing family and friends and take it one day at a time. What a journey this has been. I look forward to seeing what God does with us next.

Our church has played a significant role in getting supplies up to the northeast part of Japan that was hit the worst with the earthquake. I know Kan would love to be able to help with that as well. Hopefully if we get back, the Lord would be able to use him in that way. Although he has lived in America for some 20 years, Japan is still his home country and his heart breaks in a different way for the people of his country who are suffering so. I met a lady on the plane from Osaka to Seattle who was very pregnant as well. She is due April 16th and plans to fly back to Osaka on April 2nd. It made me not feel so bad about the possibility of traveling back at 35 weeks pregnant. :)

Thanks again for all of your love and support. And I thank God for a plane ride that allowed Kan and I to really find out where our hearts were in all of this so we could be on the same page in coming back. We serve a very very good God.

If you want to see us, we will be staying at my parents house. Please email or send a message on facebook as I would love to get together and see as many people as I can. We will keep you posted on our final decision once we have it made. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shari, I am so glad to hear that you have all arrived in Lexington safe and sound. I wanted to leave you a comment and let you know that your post made me so happy and proud of you and Kan. One of my first thoughts upon hearing of the earthquake was what a unique missions outreach opportunity you and he were in, actually living in Japan yourselves. I am happy to hear that outreach to the affected area may be in Kan's future. I admire your determination to return to Japan when it would be very easy to say, "Let's just stay in Kentucky for a while and have this baby." I will continue to pray for your family.

Nate and Molly said...

I hope you do get to go back soon! It's neat to see how Japan has become your home in such a (relatively) short amount of time.

What's really encouraging though is your attitude and your trust that God is in control. I really believe that when we are totally surrendered to him, that is when we see Him working the most. Thanks for sharing! Hope you get some rest this week!

Corinda said...

Shari--Matt and I have been thinking about you and Kan. I'm glad you are all safe. I pray you will be able to go back as you desire. And we join in the many prayers being said for Japan and those affected by the earthquake. God bless.