Saturday, March 12, 2011

March 11, 2011




If you remember, my day to scrapbook this year is the 11th of each month. You know, record what you did, take a few pics of the kids, and this way you have a monthly report of the year. Little did I know this day would bring about the scariest adventure of my life. It started out like any other day - Kan was out of town for work, and I woke Miyako up with "Daddy will be home today." We have signed Miyako up for a sports class nearby starting in April, and on Friday we had an informational meeting for it. We met our friend at the meeting and then went to the park after wards to play and have a picnic lunch. Miyako wanted to wear five hair bows this day, so I obliged. And we were having a fabulous day.

We came home around 1ish and I put Miyako down for a nap around 2. Then came 2:45, when the largest earthquake in the history of Japan hit. We had an earthquake earlier in the week, and I experienced a lot of shaking and things moving, but this one just kept going and going. As I re-hash this in my mind as I write, I realize I am not ready to go there. It was the scariest moment of my life and I think I need a little bit of time before I dive right into it. Plus, right now, I am running on one hour of sleep, it is 10:00 at night, I have bronchitis and cannot stop coughing, and really need to go to bed. But reality is, I am not emotionally ready to write about it. And that my friends is okay. I can leave you with some cute pictures of Miyako taken before we went to our sports class meeting. Good night all.

2 comments:

expatgourmand said...

Hi Shari, thinking of you. I'm glad you and your family are okay, and I really hope you are okay emotionally too. I have been through a bad earthquake before and know how terrifying it can be. Heck, years after that earthquake, whenever there was a tremor, fear still crept up upon me. An American friend who was my neighbor at the time of that earthquake had a really hard time - It really shook him up. Anyway, I pray that God's peace will be upon you. Take care, and stay safe!

Jean

mel said...

Just as Jean said, I pray for peace in your heart. I know it is so comforting to now have Kan with you... but only God can give you that internal peace. I am so heart sick for all the people of Japan. I will pray for peace for you.