Wednesday, March 9, 2011

It's been one long week

Well, friends, it has been one long week. I told Kan if we are this sick next winter we are packing our bags. :) All joking aside, it has been slightly rough.

Sunday I was laid out on the couch with an achy body and sore throat so Kan took Miyako to church. She had a lot of fun riding the bus, seeing her friends, and grocery shopping on the way home with daddy. As we were changing her into her pjs that night, I noticed a slight rash on her tummy and behind her legs. I asked Kan if she ate anything funny at church, but he said no. Nothing really seemed to match up and we could not think of what it might have been. I considered it being a reaction to her antibiotics she had started on Thursday, but she had been taking them for several days so I thought she was fine. And she was, as the Japanese say, "genki." She was in good spirits.

Monday morning she woke up and the spots were gone. However, they came back Monday night again. At this point we are thinking maybe she gets too hot in her pjs or just has very sensitive skin. She also finished her antibiotic this day but still had a very bad cough. The rash subsided and we did not really worry about it. Then comes Tuesday...

Kan left for Taiwan Tuesday and that night at midnight I was on the phone with him with a very red little girl. She woke up crying and saying she needed a diaper change and when I opened her pjs her little tummy was covered in this rash. Not only that, but her left cheek was a bit swollen as well and I was pretty nervous. Nervous enough to wake up my Dutch friend to talk through whether or not I should take her to the hospital. As I was talking to Kan, he was on the internet researching all of the possibilities. In that short time, her cheek started to go back to normal size and color and her rash was getting smaller. I had her sleep with me that night, which meant I did not really sleep (who knew a two year old could take up so much room in the bed and leave a 7 month pregnant woman with a few inches). On Wednesday morning the bumps were gone.

Miyako felt fine and acted her normal cheerful self, but I wanted to confirm with the doctor that it was not a reaction to the medication and also have him check on her cough, which was still very deep. I figured since we had taken the medicine, her cough should be getting better. My Dutch friend went with me to translate (we were seeing the local Japanese pediatrician) on Thursday afternoon. The doctor was surprised to see us as Miyako was so cheerful, and I showed him pictures from the rash and explained I was concerned she still had a bad cough. I asked if the rash could be a response to the medication and he immediately refused this idea saying it was probably just cold related. Both my friend and I thought this was ridiculous. He prescribed more medicine for the cough, which looked similar to stuff Miyako had taken at the beginning of February, so I thought it would be fine as she never had a reaction then.

Well, I gave her the first dose at 5 and at 7:30 she was breaking out again. At the same time she was throwing a temper tantrum. Yes, my sweet angel can do that sometimes, especially when it is time to get ready for bed. So, then I thought to myself maybe it is a response to getting too hot or being upset - kind of like hives. I was told to give her some right before bed. I did as I was told, and at 10:30 she is crying in her bed. Her hands are shaking, as are mine from nerves, and she is itching everywhere. I immediately call Kan and then my Dutch friend, who quickly comes to the house. At this point I am certain it is the medication. Now the question is whether or not to take her to the hospital. She says she wants to go to bed and slowly her body starts to return a little bit to normal. I put her back to bed and my friend stays with me a little bit to make sure she does not get worse and we need to go to the hospital. Kan meanwhile is researching and said a reaction can come 10 days or more after exposure and also that her continuous cough was probably more related to the allergic reaction to the medication rather than the actual cold. It is pretty nerve-racking when your child has an allergic reaction. My main concern was she would not be able to breathe.

In the meantime, with all of this going on, my throat is still aching from the weekend. My cough is deep. And I simply do not feel well. So today while I had Nena, I ventured out to my American/Japanese based doctor (and skipped class) to check on myself. How normal it felt to walk in his office, hear American jazz music in the background, and visit with someone who speaks impeccable English. I did have a slight fever today when I saw him and he gave me medicine to help cure my very enlarged throat and cough. It was not the powder stuff Miyako got - it was stuff I was used to back in the US. I found out his office is open on Saturdays from 9-12 so next time we have an issue with Miyako and I need assistance in the train ride and lack of elevator access, Kan and I will both take her on a Saturday. It may be farther away, but it felt like home.

Now, I know lots of my friends here see Japanese doctors and are fine and get great treatment. I am not bashing them. But for me, and after this experience, I simply feel more comfortable going back to the man who went to Stanford for undergrad and Yale for medical school.

Through this whole experience, I learned several things. One, the body of Christ is AMAZING! I truly could not have done this without my Dutch friend. She was such a huge support for me and it made the world of difference in how I was able to control myself and my emotions. God truly knew what He was doing when He provided this apartment for us in such close proximity to dear friends. They, and many other friends from church, have become our family here, and I know that only happens through the bond we share in Christ. I am so so thankful.

I also learned that family is amazing. My "American sister-in-law" in Arkansas has been a huge support through this. I guess I run to those who have lots of kids for help with this stuff because both she and my Dutch friend have five children! I figure if anything, they have seen it all, and will also remain the most calm in helping me. I think I emailed Arkansas 20 times in about 3 days, sending her pictures, and then calling her as well. Such a blessing.

And finally, I will be honest, last night as I held my sweet girl with her rash all over, I was kicking myself for not going to the American educated doctor to begin with. I knew the reasons I did not go to him were legitimate. We had been to the local doctor before and he treated Miyako well. And the transportation there is simply hard for me at 33 weeks preggers - no lifting a stroller up and down stairs for this mama. Nonetheless, I was still kicking myself, especially as I discussed it with him today and I said, "where can you get the pink stuff that I grew up on for sickness" as I knew the answer was with him. :) But I was reminded of this video a friend posted on facebook - I was reminded as a mom to forgive yourself. You will make mistakes. But you live and learn. And all in all, I do not think Miyako will be permanently damaged or scarred from this experience.

If you want to check out the video I am referencing, go here - it is beautiful.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mamamia.com.au%2Fweblog%2F2010%2F12%2Fthe-things-mothers-wish-theyd-known-earlier.html&h=e3544

3 comments:

volscats said...

I failed to mention - she woke up today completely fine...her cheerful self with a small little cough. No more medicine today!

Nancy said...

Shari, I know this is not the first thing on your mind right now with all that has happened, but since I have one kid with some serious food allergies and just found out this fall that Carter is allergic to penicillin, I thought I'd put my two cents worth in. It sounds like an allergic reaction to the medication. Carter was on penicillin and broke out on the 8th day. Because it was for strep I kind of thought it was the scarlet fever rash that sometimes goes along with it. I'm fortunate that my father-in-law is only a call away with all kinds of professional help. He said no, those come at the beginning of strep. Just to abridge the story, the doc didn't think it was allergic at first, but Carter woke up the next morning covered from head to toe and his eyes a bit swollen. Back to the doc and it was confirmed as an allergy. I say all this to suggest you keep some benadryl handy. Naturally, we always have some because of Will, but when I gave it to Carter, it helped with the itching quite a bit and made me feel better about the situation. You should now, too, that I am not a person who gives out (or takes) medicine willy-nilly. I refuse to give it to my children on planes, etc. So, I really do feel confident that it is super effective and safe. I know having a child with a reaction is scary. I think you did great! I am always praising God that Will has his first reaction to pb with Nathan rather than me. He rather calmly handled the situation and I was blithely unaware until after the fact. I will be praying for you during this stressful time in Japan. May God give you the peace only he can provide. Lots of love to you all!

Jennifer said...

Hi Shari! Hang in there girl! We are praying for you, Kan and the babes.
We found out that Gabriella was allergic to penicillan when she was a year old. She too was on a course of antibiotics and developed hives the size of quarters all over her body. Always keep a bottle of Benedryl ( diphenhydramine) on hand. It's always good to have on hand for bee stings and any other thing that might cause an allergic reaction...whether it's rashes, hives or breathing issues....until you can get medical help. My brother ( 34 yrs old) stepped on a fire ant nest last year, got several bites on his foot and had an adverse reaction. He was lucky to have some on hand.
I saw the new post that you are heading to Kyoto. Take several deep breaths and know that we are thinking of you and praying for you! You can do it! We love you all, Jennifer