Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Disappointing News

Today my husband gave me some disappointing news. Our shipment has been delayed a week. It was supposed to arrive in Tokyo Bay March 30th and we would get it a few days later. Now it is not expected to arrive until April 5th. I do not know the Captain of the boat, but he sure better hurry it up. Saying that I was disappointed is quite an understatement. It did not help that the news came on the second day of cold, wet nasty weather here in Tokyo. You would not even know Mt. Fuji existed based on the thick clouds I look out upon from my balcony. How does a woman help these woes...I went to the international grocery store next door and bought some fabulous cookies that are like oreos only bigger, in the shape of a leaf, and have the double-stuffed size filling. Then I put Priss-Pooh down for a nap, made some tea with milk and sugar (something my Irish friend here introduced me to) and enjoyed a yummy treat on this cold dreary day. I do feel a bit better, but am really tired of wearing the same pair of jeans and five shirts I packed for our "one month" waiting period for our shipment. Once my clothes get here I may throw these jeans away.

I have learned a few things in this time of "waiting." I have learned that you really do not "need" a whole lot to survive. Miyako has been playing with the same ten little toys we brought on the plane with us and is doing just fine. In fact, her favorite toy is walking around our bed frame or hiding in the cabinets that are just her size. She also enjoys riding her box of wipes around the hard wood floor like you would ride a horse. And, although we do not have a ton of furniture, we have the basics. We eat at a table, we sit on one couch, and we have a mat for a bed that does just fine. God has shown me that I want all of these comforts and a "home" to be complete and secure here, when in reality He has made me secure and complete in His love. I have also learned that not having a lot to entertain yourself with forces you to talk with one another and be creative and find things to do. There is TONS to do in this very large city and I am enjoying the adventure of seeing what all there is to offer. The world is a very big place, much larger than you can think or imagine, and I am grateful for the opportunity to see a new piece of this world God has created. It is not always easy living in a foreign country, but God truly has blessed me and I am enjoying this ride He has me on.

2 comments:

Corinda said...

Hi Shari. I just checked your blog for the first time. I'm glad to see you guys are mostly doing well despite your shipment not arriving when you expected. Your home looks beautiful and what a view! Hopefully the clouds will clear out soon. :)

mel said...

You are having the same weather we are. It stinks. I really want Spring. I should learn a lesson from you and be happy with having a warm home to hide out in when the winter winds are blustery. One more thing, don't throw away your jeans. You will never be able to replace them by shopping in Japan. Trust me. ;)