Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spousal Visa

So I had a most interesting phone conversation today with the attorney who is preparing my spousal visa in Japan. I really felt like I was being questioned regarding the legitimacy of our marriage and it was quite interesting. She was very nice and I knew this was just part of the process. However, it did make me wonder how people can fake this kind of stuff to get visas into different countries. Here are some questions she asked -

When did you meet? (She actually wanted the exact date and I did not know it. I know...bad wife. But I did remember the date of our first date.)

How did you meet?

Who introduced you? What is her name, address, birthday, and phone number? Kristin, if you get a phone call from Japan, this is what it is about.

How long did you date? Boy was that a tough one to answer. I had to tell her, "We were on a break" from May of 2003 to May of 2004. Thankfully she did not ask specifics on the sabbatical we took. :)

Who was at your wedding? Seriously, if you were at our wedding you would know there is no way I could have answered that question, considering I think some people came in just for the reception post the UK football game. Thankfully I only had to answer immediate family members who were at the wedding. I did though have to tell her how many people were there and she responded with "wow" when I told her almost 400. Boy that was a fun night! Sigh, memories.

How many times have you been to Japan? Can you give me specific dates? Thank goodness for detailed passport stamps.

What language do you primarily speak in your marriage? HA! Definitely English. Is your husband's English fluent? How do I answer that? Deck the halls with boughs of holly...Fa ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra! (That is for you Knoxville Fam:)

There were more but I will spare you the rest. Oh and for all of you bloggers out there, I just read a friend's blog who said on your 100th post you are supposed to post 100 things about yourself. Rather interesting. I would love to see those of you who have a 100 posts do that and learn more about you. I thought it was fun to read and I had no idea that is what you were encouraged to do by the blog world. Thankfully I have some time before I have to come up with 100 things.

4 comments:

Nate and Molly said...

that reminds me of "the Proposal", the Sandra Bullock movie!

Nancy said...

I was going to say that same thing Molly said! I laughed so hard in that movie because that INS agent definitely had ego issues! Shari - I cannot tell you the date that Nate Brown and I met but I can tell you it was in late June 1998 on a Wednesday - they would deport me for sure!

Kim F. said...

Hilarious. I love the Friends reference to being on a break. Brought a smile to my afternoon. Love you, friend.

katherineathome said...

You are too precious! Great post. Keep them coming.