Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sigh...internet







Our internet came back on just in time for me to see those CATS slaughter Wake Forest. Funny thing though...setting up internet in Tokyo is not like setting it up in the US. In the US, you basically call the internet guy and say, "I need internet." They come to your house and set up internet. Saturday morning our "internet guy" came and set up our line. When my husband asked him to then connect the line to the internet we were told you had to have someone else do that. So, my smart husband asked for suggestions and he gave us two business cards, both of whom were for people who worked for his "sister" company. So, my husband asked, "well, can you just do it since you all work for the same company?" "Sorry," the man replied, "I am just the line guy. You have to contact these people for the provider service." Really?? I thought my husband was going to scream! Even though he is Japanese, he has not lived here in awhile so the little things like this that make things so hard can be a bit frustrating.

Today is a National Holiday. Rather than let people have vacation days and choose when they want off, Japan has holidays practically each month. I guess with the whole group society idea, they want their workers taking off at the same time. We do get some vacation time, but it is not like the US. Today's national holiday was established in 1948 as a day for the admiration of nature and the love of living things. Prior to 1948, the holiday was an imperial ancestor worship festival called Shunki kōrei-sai. We went to Yoyogi Park with some folks from church and had a picnic. It was a nice day outside...sunny, but a bit cool. Miyako enjoyed the open space and being able to run around.

I am glad to be back online. It is good to feel "connected" to people back home again. And yes, it was nice to watch the CATS game live yesterday morning. I am posting some pictures so I hope you enjoy. They are from our adventures at the park today, Miyako's favorite hiding place in our new apartment, Miyako showing off in sunglasses, and our view of Mt. Fuji this morning from our balcony.

5 comments:

volscats said...

And to all my Japanese friends who read this blog, I hope I did not offend you regarding the vacation time. We would simply rather have all of the holidays given to us as vacation time and be allowed to take the days when we want to.

Heather Morozov said...

Shari, Love reading your blog! Miyako is getting so big and is just too cute for words! It is so interesting hearing about Japanese culture! Thanks for updating so we can read about your adventures.

mel said...

Fuji from your balcony window? Oh, girl, you found a great apartment! Your kitchen is HUGE! Awesome! I'm so glad you are back! ---- I didn't know that the "monthly holidays" were in lieu of vacation time. Happy to "see" you back!

Gay said...

Okay! I must tell you that the one with Miyako under the sink in the cabinet has to be one of my favorite pics! It sounds like you guys are doing a fine job of adapting. The views, the parks, the people and even the parking garages are fabulous! Keep posting!

volscats said...

We do get vacation time as well but it is not as much as we got in the US since we get all the national holidays.