Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lunch at the Country Western Bar

So another interesting experience here in Tokyo and I left my camera at home. Hopefully my word description will be enough for you to enjoy.

A friend of mine whom I have never met...I know, strange huh? We were connected via email through a mutual friend. Anyways, she lived in Tokyo and has been giving me TONS of insights into life here as a foreigner and fun things to do. She had told me about a Country Western Bar as a landmark in helping me get somewhere awhile back. I saw it only because there was a confederate flag hanging from the building, which is definitely not something you see every day in Tokyo. Because space is limited here in Tokyo you have to look for things vertically. This bar is on the second floor of a building, but the confederate flag hangs on the street level and is easily visible. I told Kan about it and he said at some point we need to check it out.

Well, his boss came to town this week and offered to take Miyako and I to lunch with them. Kan had told him about the country western bar and he wanted to try it. We did not even know if it would be open at lunch but we went to try it. Kan was hoping to get some fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy. I was hoping for a big ole American cheeseburger that did not come from McD's. It was open for lunch and it was very tiny! We walked in and Kan read the menu outside the front door in Japanese...no burgers or fried chicken for us. It was a mix of Thai curry options or Japanese noodle options. Oh well. It was good and we listened to some Willy Nelson so all in all a good lunch.

If we ever do get back there to check out a band I will definitely take my camera and post pics. Now it is off to watch the second half of that KY game! I already checked out the score because I did not want to watch it if they lost. WOO HOO! Onto the Elite 8! And to top off the day, the sun is trying to peek out of the clouds here in Tokyo!

1 comment:

mel said...

Good Old Willy! I'm impressed that you ate there! Do you know how many times I walked by that place??! The closest I ever got to fried chicken with gravy was tonkatsu. Sorry! Try this place - we've been for brunch - kinda $ but nice when you are really homesick. It is in Roppongi on the way to Tokyo Tower from Midtown. I see that they have chicken fried steak on the dinner menu http://www.sujis.net/sub24_2_3.htm