Friday, July 8, 2011

The Big Trial

So, this week I must say I am glad I am in Tokyo with the whole Casey Anthony trial going on. For those of you who do not know, I get into crime stuff like this back in the US. I remember where I was when the verdict for OJ Simpson was announced - freshman year of college at Furman University in my friends' room, left speechless at the announcement of a non-guilty verdict. Then when Natalie Holloway went missing, I was on vacation with my family. My sister and I were ADDICTED to the news every night. We would play euchere while watching the latest news, which was repeated hourly just by different anchors. Drew Peterson - remember him? My book club friends gave me books before I left for Japan and one of them gave me a book about his case. So, needless to say I get into this kind of stuff.

But this case with Casey Anthony, it hits a different chord in my gut. Maybe it is because I have a 2 and a half year old little girl. I am not writing this post to debate whether or not she killed the little girl. As Kan and I listened to news about the verdict on our sling box, we simply had to turn it off. It just hit too close to the heart with a little one in our home. But I wonder if I had been a juror, if I would have found her not guilty as well. My emotions would have wanted to find her guilty - I mean, what mother in her right mind is out partying while her little girl is missing? But when I look at the evidence and someone's life is in your hands, I wonder where I would have gone. It would have been so hard to be a juror on this case and keep your emotions in tact.

I am not even sure why I am writing this post. Maybe it is because I cannot really talk about the case with loads of my friends here. I do not think many of them follow the Casey Anthony trial out of Orlando, Florida. :) Maybe there is still a part of me that would love to go to law school. Even if I never practice law, I love studying and stuff like this really intrigues me. Or maybe, my heart just hurts for all of those involved...the little girl who is gone and for the mother - as clueless as she may seem, she has to be hurting. Whether the hurt stems from guilt over what she did or simply the fact that her child is gone, she has to hurt too. And although I do have my doubts as to the verdict of the case and was not too pleased with the outcome, I wonder who will show this woman love. Who will reach out to her? I think my heart must be changing somewhat...I would have never written this about OJ or Drew Peterson, but for now this is where my heart is. Maybe it is because I am a mom now, and I cannot imagine losing my child. I also know there are days where I want to pull my hair out, drink a bottle of wine after a long day, or even long for the days when I worked outside of the home and only had to take care of myself. Don't we all? We wouldn't want to trade in our kids by any stretch of the means, but I have days where I wish I was the main bread winner and Kan stayed home with the kids. :) Kan laughs when I tell him this as I could not bare to be away from Miyako for more than three days after having Kei and cried every time they left the hospital. But still...it is hard, being a mom, and I hope that someone will reach out to Miss Anthony and show her a greater love.

3 comments:

Kim F. said...

Good post. I actually have thought about blogging about it too, so you're not crazy for blogging about it. Being from Orlando, we have walked through this story from the beginning. It's given me a lot to think about too. Love you, friend, and love your mother's heart.

Anonymous said...

I've been debating whether or not I should blog about the trial. We are too much alike! I remember when I was little, I would come home every day and watch the O.J. trial with my dad. I was obsessed with the Jon Benet Ramsey case, Elizabeth Smart, and Natalee Holloway. I actually didn't know much about the Casey Anthony case until the trial got underway a few weeks ago. My opinions about the verdict aside, I enjoyed your remarks about showing her love. I have been completely appalled at many of my Christian Facebook friends' hate-filled comments about Casey Anthony, similar to what I saw when bin Laden's death was announced. It makes me step back and think a big WWJD? I don't think that the Jesus I know would be wishing either of these people dead or expressing so much hate. It makes me sad.

Nancy said...

Interesting post. I have talked over many sensational trials with my dad; the trial part of his job is his favorite part, so it's always animated. He knows the law inside and out and had incredible insights into some of these situations. I remember talking with him about the OJ trial for hours. He has taught me a lot about our justice system and how it should work. He and I were both impressed with the courage of this jury to deliver this verdict. The sad truth is that the prosecution couldn't really show how that sweet baby died. That leaves a lot of doubt to convict someone, sending them to an execution. Would you rather have a system that executes someone who might be innocent or frees someone who might be guilty? But, what is impressive is the precedent it could have set. And the jury really seemed to be smart and understand that. On the flip side is the aspects of modern crime drama shows leaving juries to want undeniable DNA proof (which, frankly isn't as reliable as scientists would like for you to believe - just ask me about a case my dad had). Sometimes, you can't have it tied up so nicely in a bow. My dad said listening to all the evidence, he was left with the impression that the prosecution just didn't have enough evidence to sufficiently connect all the dots. And that is what jurors have said in the couple of interviews I've heard. I mostly appreciate how you wonder about the mother and who will show her love. Her life is, most likely, ruined. Even though she has been acquitted in a court of law, the court of public opinion has definitely already executed her. It seems she has some issues and, like us all, need the love only Christ can provide.