Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pool Redemption



Today I had Nena for two hours and had huge plans to hit a coffee shop with a good book or Ginza to find some new sunglasses. Well, I did neither. I went to answer the door and when I came back to the living room with Nena, I found Miyako with some big ole crocodile tears. Those tears got the best of me and my two hours of free time became two hours of Miyako and Mama special time. We went to this new indoor play area that is a climbing area for kids, something that would be harder to do with Kei strapped to my chest and climbing in confined spaces trying to help Miyako. At this climbing area they had a small wading pool that kids could go in. Miyako was more interested in that than the climbing facility so after about 30 minutes we went to get in. I did not have a swim suit for her, but two other children were running around in their underwear so I figured I would just take her clothes off and let her run wild in her diaper. Y'all, I wish I had taken a picture of this "pool." It was maybe about ankle deep for kids and was the size of a large hot tub...not too big if you get my drift.

Well, as they were explaining the rules to me, they asked if Miyako wore diapers. I said "yes, she is not potty trained." The response was "I'm sorry. She cannot go in." Well, try telling that to a little girl who has been staring at the said pool for the last 20 of the 30 minutes we were inside the climbing area. I understand they do not want kids to pee in the pool. I get it. But do they not understand that some 4 year olds who are potty trained sometimes pee in the pool? Ha, I know some tipsy adults in their prime who may have gone wee wee in the ocean a time or two. And this pool, well, it was not really a pool. It was literally ankle deep and just a place to splash and run around. I told Miyako she could not go in but she could color on the wall they had set up for coloring. Well, that lasted about 20 seconds. Then she said she wanted to leave and she asked if she could just feel the water. All the girl wanted to do was feel the water y'all. Did they let her? No!

At this point I was so mad at this rule following culture. I know everybody has rules, but she just wanted to put her hand in the water. Her hand would not go wee wee in the water, I promise! I told her she could not feel the water and to be honest, I left in a huff. We were not inconveniencing the other two kids in the pool by putting our hands in it, but a big whatever. We left.

On our way out, the mother of the other two children stopped us and told me there was another new splash pool just across the street at the other new apartment building and you could wear diapers. So, I decided to check it out hoping and praying that this would not be a huge disappointment as well.

POOL REDEMPTION FOLKS!

This pool was MUCH better, bigger, deeper with water coming out from everywhere. You are supposed to have a swim suit but we were not prepared. Miyako had bloomers on under her dress so I just acted as if this was her swimsuit. I only got in trouble by the 70 year old security guard for not parking my stroller in the right spot. :) And he simply showed me where to put it. Miyako had a ball. I had a ball. Pool Redemption! And, a lady gave us a small towel when she saw me taking Miyako to the stroller all wet. She said you can buy them for 100 yen and I offered to pay but she told me not to worry about it. Thank you nice lady.

So, my alone time was not so much what I thought it would be, but it was fun and we found a new place to cool off close to our apartment. And for kicks, the photos are of the K Man doing some tummy time this afternoon. If I do not use the boppy pillow for tummy time he simply lays his head down in sleeping position. Yes, he sleeps on his tummy...not real SIDS cautious but it gets me 12 hours of sleep at night from the little guy. What a cutie.

2 comments:

The Sylvesters said...

That is so funny about the diaper. It would have kept the pee in unlike the undies the other kids were wearing. Glad you found a better place to go. Kei is so cute. He and Thomas are about the same size and would be good friends. :)

mel said...

You are a good mama for recognizing and spending time with Miyako. I keep thinking that there will be times our kids DON'T want us around - take advantage now!

The Rules. Egad, they even have them here. At my mother-in-law's community pool (she lives in a 55 and older community) no one under 4 is allowed in the pool. I wonder about the ladies with active bladders and other issues with their bladders (like my MIL) who are in the pool for sports classes... really? Her grandkids can't get in the pool until they are older than 4. At least grandkids can wear swim diapers. They don't even HAVE swim diapers for grandPARENTS. Oh, was that bitter? Yes. It is too hot to be at grandma's house without pool access. and I AM bitter about it. ;)